Folklore associated with “Daddy Long Legs”
- If you find a harvestman in your house (the name for the arachnid traditionally known as a Daddy Long Legs) then you should think happy thoughts as you remove it from indoors unharmed. If not the harvest man will return to Daddy Long Legs and tell him of your sorrows. He will come to visit you soon after
- Never kill any crow or other bird around your home as it can be an invite to Daddy Long Legs as he is naturally antagonistic towards birds and takes it as an invite.
- Daddy Long Leg’s does not like the smell of burning rabbit tobacco (Gnaphalium obtusifolium) and will not venture near it. Likewise a bundle of rabbit tobacco over a doorway will ward him away.
- An obscure piece of folklore involves people leaving tallow candles inside a tree hollow with the name of those whom they wished Daddy Long Legs to visit carved on a piece of bark placed right behind the candle. Supposedly Daddy Long Legs would make his rounds through the woods and if he spotted the candle and read the note then that person would soon die.
- If you run into a spider's web then you should offer an apology to the spider or else Ol' Daddy Long Legs will come to give you sleepless nights until the spider is able to rebuild it's web.